Search

Book Review - The Unrequited by Saffron A. Kent




Synopsis:

Layla Robinson is not crazy. She is suffering from unrequited love. But it’s time to move on. No more stalking, no more obsessive calling.

What she needs is a distraction. The blue-eyed guy she keeps seeing around campus could be a great one—only he is the new poetry professor—the married poetry professor.

Thomas Abrams is a stereotypical artist—rude, arrogant, and broody—but his glares and taunts don’t scare Layla. She might be bad at poetry, but she is good at reading between the lines. Beneath his prickly façade, Thomas is lonely, and Layla wants to know why. Obsessively.

Sometimes you do get what you want. Sometimes you end up in the storage room of a bar with your professor and you kiss him. Sometimes he kisses you back like the world is ending and he will never get to kiss you again. He kisses you until you forget the years of unrequited love; you forget all the rules, and you dare to reach for something that is not yours.
 

NOTE: Please be aware that this book deals with sensitive topics like cheating. 18+ Only.


The Unrequited The Unrequited by Saffron A. Kent
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

The Unrequited is the first novel I have ever read by Saffron A Kent and I cannot even begin to put into words how amazing it is. It is perfect in every way just like its stunning cover! I can't get over how gorgeous the cover is and when I realized the significance behind it, it just brought a whole new meaning to the story that made it that much more special.

I absolutely love the cover and am so glad Saffron went with this approach rather than a cover with some hot guy's abs. Don't get me wrong, abs are great and all, but when covers are significant to the story line they are far more special. I absolutely love it and truly think Saffron and her cover artist really knocked it out of the park with the cover of The Unrequited! ;) If you are a romance lover like myself, you need to give this novel a chance! It is without a doubt one of the best novels of 2017!

 
I have a small confession though...I've tried to sit down and write a review for The Unrequited several times, but it's just so hard to put into words everything I feel about this novel. The Unrequited is just one of those novels that leaves you breathless.


Thomas and Layla have been on my mind since the day I started reading The Unrequited, because their story is unlike any other student/teacher romance I have ever read. It crosses so many lines that at times it makes you feel like what they have is so wrong, but how can something so wrong feel so right? I asked myself this over and over again while I was reading their story, because I knew it was wrong for Layla to fall for a married man, and I knew it was even more wrong for Thomas to cheat on his wife, but when I started getting glimpses into Thomas' life, I couldn't help but feel my heart ache for him.


Thomas is a man who loves his wife. He loves her so much, he gives up everything for her, including his greatest passion, poetry, but not even all his love, devotion and all the sacrifices he has made for her could make her love him back. But he's not one to give up easily and fights for his marriage, even if he lives an unrequited love, but everyone has a breaking point, even Thomas. He eventually puts his one sided love to a side and gives into what his heart desires most...his student, Layla.



Layla is not your typical protagonist. She has a lot of baggage and a past she can't let go of. She is obsessive, stalkerish and borders a bit on the crazy side, which is the last thing I expected from the main character of the novel, but that in itself intrigued me because I have never come across a character like Layla in all the books I have ever read. It really made for an interesting story and the more I got to know both her and Thomas' characters, the more I saw why she was perfect for him.


Her "crazy" really suits Thomas and nothing she does ever scares him. On the contrary, he takes pleasure in everything she does, both figuratively and literally. He not only accepts her and all her craziness, but he understands her like no one else does.


It's obvious they were made for each other. Sadly, not everyone sees that and drives them apart, because people deem what they have as "morally wrong," but could their relationship be the right kind of wrong? You have to read to find out. I promise you won't regret it if you do, so what are you waiting for?! Go get your copy now!


Overall, I give The Unrequited five PURPLE hearts and hope you will all take a chance on Saffron's newest novel!


P.S. Saffron, thank you for giving the book world Thomas and Layla! We needed to hear their story.



View all my reviews


Favorite Quotes:

  • I sneak a glimpse at Thomas. This time, our gazes catch. Tiny blue flames stare at me from across the space and I’m suspended in his attention.


  • He is like my personal moon—unattainable, to be admired from afar. He is my cancer, slowly killing me, and I don’t even mind.

  • “Is that really something you should be telling your professor?” “But then you’re not my professor, are you? And I’m not your student. I’m just the trespasser.” “I’d be careful then. Bad things happen to those who trespass,” he says in a voice that steals my own.

  • “Hold on, you saw that? You saw that I was sharing a drink with a guy from across the room. Were you…?” “Was I what? Watching you?” He pierces me with his stare, so intense, so serious. “Yeah.” His words drag in a lazy manner. “I was. In fact, I can’t stop watching you.” 

  • I see Layla behind my closed eyelids. But it isn’t her face or blush-stained cheeks that I see. It’s her spirit. It’s the fact that she stood up in a class full of people and read her shitty poem out loud. It’s the fact that she had the courage to expose her ugliness to me, to cry in front of me, to be vulnerable. It’s the fact that she threw herself at me, knowing I might reject her. 



Purchase at E-book and Paperback at Amazon

 Connect with the Author:

No comments

Post a Comment